Safety Code Services (Permits)

Home / Safety Code Services (Permits)

Building Permits

More Information

Demolition Permits

More Information

Gas, Plumbing, Electrical

More Information


More Information

Safety Codes Services processes applications for demolitions, new construction and renovations. Safety Codes Services is responsible for construction design approvals relative to building, plumbing, gas, and electrical disciplines in order to ensure all projects meet the minimum building code requirements of the 2014 Alberta Building Code, the Safety Codes Act, and the Town of High River’s Quality Management Plan or Land Use Bylaw (LUB).

Permits are required for any repairs where certified inspectors must approve that the work meets legislated safety and building codes. This includes electrical, plumbing, gas, and structural.

Municipal Affairs – New Home Warranties requirement starts on February 1, 2014

BUILDER LICENSING – Beginning December 1, 2017, new requirements will be in effect for residential builders in Alberta.
Click here for details

The building permit process protects both the owner’s interests and those of the community at large. It also helps to ensure that any structural change is safe. Failure to obtain proper Building Permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action and/or the removal of work already completed.

Building permits are required for the relocation, construction, demolition, and alteration of any building over 107 square feet (10 m2). Some of the projects requiring a permit include:

  • Construction of a new building (Single Family / Multi Family / Commercial / Industrial, etc)
  • Accessory Buildings & Detached Garages (over 107 sq ft)
  • Basement Development
  • Home Renovations
  • Kitchen Renovations
  • Installation of a solid fuel appliance (i.e. wood stove or wood fireplace)
  • Installation of a swimming pool or hot tub
  • Wheelchair ramps
  • Decks or porches (includes total rebuilds)
  • Change in occupancy of any building (i.e. from retail to office, or office to restaurant, etc.)
  • Tenant Bay Development for Commercial / Industrial Use
  • Addition to any building
  • Alteration to any building
  • Demolition of any building
  • Moving a Building off-site
  • Move on Dwellings / Manufactured Homes
  • Temporary buildings
  • Replacing insulation
  • Reconstruction of any building that has been damaged by flood, fire, earthquake or other cause
  • Correction of an unsafe condition in any building
  • Fence
  • Residential accessory building not greater than 10 m2 (107.6 ft.2) in area that does not create a hazard. Please contact Safety Codes for clarification.
  • Replacing flooring
  • Removing dry wall or other interior finishes
  • Replacing windows or doors one for one in the same location and size
  • Replacing siding, deck boards or shingles