There will be no waste collection services on Tuesday, Dec. 25; Wednesday, Dec. 26; or Tuesday, Jan. 1 due to the Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day holidays.
Residents who receive regular waste collection services on Tuesdays are asked to place their collection bins for pick up on Thursday, Dec. 27.
Residents who receive regular waste collection services on Wednesdays are asked to place their collection bins for pick up on Friday, Dec. 28.
Operations crews will have extra trucks collecting waste throughout town on the 27 and 28 to make up for the holiday closures.
If residents placed their bins for collection on the above dates and they were not tipped, they are welcome to contact Operations at [email protected] or 403-652-4657 and crews will schedule a pick up on Monday, Dec. 31.
Crews will also schedule additional collection trucks on Wednesday, Jan. 2 and Thursday, Jan. 3. to make up for the Jan. 1 holiday.
Residents are reminded that all bins need to be set out before 7 a.m. on the day of collection.
The Town of High River provides automated waste collection services to single-family homes on a weekly basis.
Residential Waste Collection Basics:
- Garbage cart must be out by 7 a.m. the day of your pick-up
- Garbage in the collection carts should only consist of regular house hold waste. The Town will not take items such as oil, chemicals, automotive parts, Christmas trees, furniture, large pieces of wood, metal or construction materials. If you’re unsure please call 403-652-4657 or email [email protected].
- If your garbage has been missed, please make sure it is placed correctly and contact the Operations at 403-652-4657.
- There is no automated waste collection on statutory holidays, collection resumes on the next regular business day
Garbage Collection Cart Sizes
There are two residential sizes to choose from:
- 240 Litre Garbage Collection Cart ($10.70/month)
- 360 Litre Garbage Collection Cart ($14.85/month)
Lost or Missing Carts
Replacement garbage carts can be picked up at the Town of High River Operations Shop at 640 7 Street N.W. during regular business hours. Any extra, unclaimed carts can also be taken to this location. If you have found your bin, please wash it out and reuse it if possible. Residents will need to pay to replace a lost or missing cart.
- Foothills Regional Landfill Site – 403.938.5224
|What to do||What not to do|
|Park it: Park your garbage collection cart on level ground at your front curb or back alley by 7 a.m. on the day of your collection.||Do not: Park your garbage collection cart behind other carts or objects. This includes transformers and utility boxes.|
|Point it: Point the Town of High River logo on your garage collection cart towards the street or alley.||Do not: Point your garbage collection cart away from the street or alley. This helps prevent damage during pick-up.|
|Space it: Space your garbage collection cart at least three feet from any objects||Do not: Park your garbage collection cart close to other objects or overfill it. Garbage carts must be at least 1 meter (3 feet) away from all objects, walls, vehicles, transformers, & utility boxes.|
|Take it: Take your garbage collection car back onto your property by 7 p.m. of your collection day.||Do not: Leave garbage collection cart on the street or in the alley after it has been dumped.|
The Town of High River asks all residents who receive waste collection services to pay special attention to the following points from the Solid Waste Management (Garbage) – Bylaw 4211/2008:
- In order to prevent loose waste from falling on the ground, road, grass or other areas please ensure that any waste that is to be collected is bagged.
- Please do not place waste anywhere other than in the waste receptacles (container, cart).
- Please do not over-fill the waste container or collection cart. Make sure that there is a 5 cm space between waste and the top of the Receptacle.
- Please do not place waste receptacles in locations that are: unsafe, obstructed, blocked by snow, ice, poorly maintained, and uneven.
- Please do not set out waste receptacles/collection carts before 7 p.m. the evening of the day prior to collection.
- Please ensure waste receptacles/collection carts are placed at collection points no later than 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day.
The Town reserves the right to withhold collection of improperly prepared waste, prohibited waste, excessive quantities of waste, or waste located at unsafe or non-compliant set-out locations.
The Town will not remove any of the following during waste collection:
- Highly combustible or explosive materials including but not limited to liquid or solid fuels, gunpowder, ammunition or explosives;
- Hot Ashes which are not properly quenched and appear to be hot or likely to cause a fire;
- Compressed propane or butane cylinders;
- Toxic or household Hazardous Waste including solvents, oven cleaners, paints, automotive fluids, wet cell batteries, pesticides, herbicides, or any material commonly referred to as household, commercial, or industrial Hazardous Waste;
- Biomedical Waste including hypodermic needles or syringes, lancets or any sharp item used in home medical care;
- Large bulky items such as mattresses, box springs, dressers, tables, chairs, major appliances, auto and truck parts, tires, tree limbs, whole shrubs, or discarded heavy machinery;
- Sheet Iron, large pieces of scrap metal or machine parts;
- Electronic equipment including televisions, computers, computer monitors, keyboards, and associated cables;
- Renovation, construction or demolition material;
- Stumps, concrete blocks or slabs, soil, rocks or aggregate;
- Dead animals and animal parts from hunting or trapping;
- Transient Waste;
- Septic tank pumpings, raw sewage, or industrial sludge;
- Radioactive Waste;
- Waste material which has not been placed for collection in accordance with the provision of this bylaw;
- Liquid Waste or material that has attained a fluid consistency and has not been drained.