The 2017 municipal election will be held on Monday, Oct. 16, 2017
Information for Voters
The advance vote will be held on October 8, 2017. The voting station will be located at the below location:
- Highwood Memorial Centre (128 5 Avenue S.W., High River, AB). Voting will take place between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Physical incapacity, mobility limitations, or visual impairment
- If an elector is unable to attend a voting station due to physical incapacity or mobility limitations, they may request that election staff visit their home to take their vote on the Advance Vote day. To arrange for this service please contact Kara Rusk, Returning Officer at 403-603-3652 or [email protected]
- If an elector is unable to mark their ballot due to visual impairment, physical incapacity or mobility limitations, they may request the use of an Electronic Ballot Marking Device from election staff at the voting station on Election Day.
Voting will take place on October 16, 2017 at the below locations:
- Highwood Memorial Centre (128 5 Avenue S.W., High River, AB). Voting will take place between 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Institutional Voting Stations:
- High River General Hospital (560 9 Avenue S.W., High River, AB). Voting will take place between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. for residents, patients and eligible employees.
- Sunrise Village (660 7 Street N.W., High River, AB). Voting will take place between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. for residents, patients and eligible employees.
Voting by Special Ballot is available by request and the ballot must be received by 7 p.m. the day of the election. To request a special ballot, please contact Kara Rusk, Returning Officer at 403-603-3652 or [email protected]. More information on Special Ballots can be found in the election bylaw.
- September 18, 2017 – Nomination Day
- October 8, 2017 – Advance Vote
- October 16, 2017 – Election Day
- October 23, 2017- Organizational Meeting/New Council to be sworn in
Register of candidates
As all municipalities are required to maintain a register of candidates posted for the public. Candidates must notify the Town within 48 hours of any changes to the information provided on their application so that the registry can be adjusted accordingly:
Official candidate listing for High River Mayor:
- Craig Lyle Snodgrass
- Paul Milligan
Official candidate listing for High River Councillor:
- Jamie Kinghorn
- Bruce Masterman
- Cathy Couey
- Don Moore
- Terry Coleman
- Michael Nychyk
- Justin Murphy
- Carol MacMillan
- Shane Tiessen
Notice of Intent Application
Due to changes to the Local Authorities Election Act, the nomination process will change for the upcoming election. Individuals interested in running for Mayor or Council must file an application with the Town before accepting or allocating any funds towards an election campaign.
In addition to the notice of intent application, candidates must also submit 15 signatures in support of their nomination.
Candidates can download the notice of intent application or pick one up from the High River Municipal Office located at 309B Macleod Trail S.W. between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Please visit this page frequently for all updates and information regarding the 2017 municipal election.
Candidates are asked to download and review the following documents:
How to register to become a candidate
- Notice of Intent to Become Candidate
- Nomination Paper and Candidates Acceptance
- Statement of Scrutineer or Official Agent
- Campaign Disclosure Statement
Important Bylaws and Policies